Friday, October 3, 2008

For the love of words

I just came to realize that I have become so totally American that I now have difficulty thinking in German and writing in it is near impossible. I never thought I would see the day that I would need a translation service to write a note in my mother tongue. Mother tongue ??? why is it the country of our fathers and mother tongue for our native language ? these are the types of linguistic oddities that get me to wondering where they originated and why. I adore historical reference to language and everyday life rather than the usual dry and droll litany of people, places and dates. Once again I digress, I do love language a well written article or heaven forbid entire work of fiction will fire me up and cause me to read it in one sitting forsaking sleep if necessary. Rarely do I need to reference a word in the English language unless it is of a specific scientific or technical nature and not commonly used. I do not mind learning new words I view it as meeting a new friend or learning to use a new tool, a new word just ads to my collection lying ready to be used at the next opportune moment.

Opportune .... clear and concise, the perfect moment for me to spring another rarely used word on you. I love working these exceptional and precise words into everyday conversation. Everybody knows what these words mean, yet they rarely get used, why? Have we become too lazy to learn different words or just feel it is somewhat ostentatious to use BIG words. I do get the distinct feeling that using certain words gets me funny looks, in the past I put it off on my accent, now I am not so sure. This by no means will make me use less words as I am used to the looks.

1 comment:

MamaMay said...

It isn't only big words, there are small words too. Like ill. When have you heard someone say "I am feeling ill" instead of "I am feeling sick"?