Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I Despise Retail Shopping

I really want to be able to say hate but that would be wrong and is too strong of a statement so I will edit to say I despise retail shopping with a purple passion. Today I went with my Mom to snag a few presents and to spend a little time together while enjoying some retail therapy, not. Coldwater Creek used to be one of my favorite companies ....... but I get ahead of myself. Mom got a lovely 35% of your purchase coupon from Coldwater Creek good only today and only for in store purchases, she invited me to come along and possibly take advantage of said bargain too. Store as always was stocked well but of course no sales racks, this should have been the first hint that things were not what they used to be. After being greeted and then ignored by every other sales person in the store we slowly descended on an animosity spiral. The merchandise I was interested in was either horrific in quality in other words the catalog pictures could not have been taken from the same item and the sizes no longer included those that Mom and I wear, WTH. The only reason for me shopping in their store was the availability of some cute/attractive clothing in my size. After a rather unpleasant exchange with some of the sales personnel we left I am not sure if I will be back. You would think that with today's business climate and lack of sales companies would try a little harder.
Similar experiences were had at Dillards in the Cosmetic Department and Jo-Anns at the Fabric Counter. For heaven sake I worked in Retail for many years, it is not easy if it is done right and doesn't pay a lot but give me a break it does not take a rocket scientist, it's indoors and when you clock out your done. If you don't want to work with or for people get a warehouse job and stop acting like selling is an imposition on your time it's your job. The lady helping me make a purchase in the Womans department at Dillards did her job and yes she made a sale. Surprisingly a short side trip to the Dollar Tree was also more pleasant than expected, go figure.

Besides blogging about companies that disappoint I will also email every company and let management know why I spent my money somewhere else.

No comments: